Dahlonega Mint Gold CoinsThe Dahlonega Mint was a branch of the United States Mint located in the state of Georgia. It was erected in 1837 and operational from 1838 to 1861 producing gold coins across four different denominations.
The facility had been created during the Georgia Gold Rush for the purpose of providing a place for miners to have their gold assayed and minted into coins. At the start of the American Civil War, the facility would be seized by the Confederates and produce a limited number of coins under the authority of the Confederate States Government. The facility was never reopened following the conclusion of the Civil War.
Coins produced by the Dahlonega Mint carry the "D" mint mark. The same mint mark would later be adopted by the Denver Mint since the facility at Dahlonega had been closed.
While operational from 1838 to 1861, the branch mint at Dahlonega, Georgia would produce gold coinage with an estimated value of $6 million. The denominations produced included the $1 gold coin, $2.50 quarter eagle, $3 gold coin, and $5 half eagle.
Due to the relatively limited mintages, Dahlonega Gold Coins are considered scarce and pursued by many collectors. This site will provide a selection of coins available for sale, including examples authenticated and graded by PCGS or NGC.